Movies That Connect Humanity With Environmentalism And Sustainability
Explore the intersection of humanity and the environment through a selection of films that promote environmentalism and sustainability. From the consequences of consumerism to the power of community, these movies will raise awareness of the importance of living in harmony with nature and inspire viewers to take action toward creating a sustainable future.
"La Belle Verte" (1996) directed by Coline Serreau
This French film depicts the consequences of human actions on the natural world, and the importance of living in harmony with nature. It offers a message of environmentalism, consumerism, and materialism, and encourages the viewers to think about their actions and how they can live more sustainably.
"Captain Fantastic" (2016) directed by Matt Ross
This movie tells the story of a father who raises his children in the wilderness and teaches them to live off the land. The movie explores the themes of parenting, education, and the importance of living in harmony with nature.
"Okja" (2017) directed by Bong Joon-ho
This movie is about a young girl who risks everything to save her best friend, a massive animal named Okja, from an international corporation. The movie is a commentary on the impact of consumerism, capitalism, and the destructive effects of the meat industry on the environment.
"Eighth Grade" (2018) directed by Bo Burnham
This movie is a coming-of-age story about a 13-year-old girl trying to survive her last week of middle school. The movie explores the themes of self-esteem, social anxiety, and the importance of connection.
"The Tree of Life" (2011) directed by Terrence Malick
This movie tells the story of a family in the 1950s and a son's memories of his childhood. The movie explores the themes of life, death, and the meaning of existence, and how nature and humanity are connected.
"The Biggest Little Farm" (2018) directed by John Chester
This documentary follows the story of a couple who quit their jobs in Los Angeles and move to a farm in the countryside to start a sustainable farm. The movie explores the themes of sustainability, the importance of community, and the power of nature.
"WALL-E" (2008) directed by Andrew Stanton
This animated film is set in the future and tells the story of a waste-collecting robot who discovers a new purpose in life when he meets another robot named Eve. The movie explores the themes of environmentalism and consumerism and shows the impact of humanity's wasteful ways on the planet.
"The Good Dinosaur" (2015) directed by Peter Sohn
This animated film takes place in an alternate world where the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs missed Earth, and tells the story of a young Apatosaurus who befriends a human boy. The movie explores the themes of friendship, family, and the importance of living in harmony with nature.
Key takeaways from the movies
The above 8 films can help raise awareness of environmental issues in a number of ways:
- By depicting the consequences of human actions on the natural world, these films can help viewers to understand the impact of consumerism, pollution, and other environmentally destructive practices.
- The movies can encourage viewers to think about the ways in which they can live more sustainably and in harmony with nature, by highlighting the benefits of living off the land, eating organic and sustainable food, and reducing their carbon footprint.
- They can also inspire viewers to take action and make changes in their own lives, such as reducing waste and consumption and supporting organizations that promote environmental sustainability.
- Some of the films, like "Okja" and "The Biggest Little Farm", can also be used to educate on the impact of the meat industry, factory farming, and the importance of organic farming, and how it can help to maintain a balance in the environment.
- The films can help to promote the importance of community and connection, which are essential for creating a sustainable future.
- They can also illustrate how art, culture, and storytelling can play a powerful role in raising awareness about environmental issues and inspiring people to take action.
- By showing the impact of environmental degradation on the lives of people, animals, and the planet, these films can inspire viewers to make a change in the way they live and become more conscious of their choices in order to protect the planet.
- They can also serve as a reminder that our actions have consequences that affect generations to come, and that it is our responsibility to take care of the planet for future generations.
Overall, these films can help to raise awareness and promote the importance of living in harmony with nature, sustainability, and eco-friendly living, by providing thought-provoking and meaningful stories that will inspire viewers to take action and make a change.