347212769.jpg Guidance

Super Admin      Feb 01, 2024

Part-Time Working Regulations For International Students

Finding part-time work could be an option if you wish to profit greatly from studying abroad but lack the money or a scholarship to pay for all of your expenses.

Part-time work enables you to explore the local culture more deeply, develop your professional abilities, increase your language proficiency, and make new friends in addition to assisting with your academic and living costs.

The laws governing this vary from country to country, but it is generally permitted. When deciding where to study abroad, it is important to keep this in mind.

Regulations regarding international students' employability

The most popular study-abroad nations' current employment policies for overseas students are listed below. Remember that laws are regularly changed, so it is essential to confirm the rules before you depart.


During your first year, you are permitted to work on campus as long as you hold an F1 student visa. Your second year is when you can start working off campus. There is no restriction on how many hours you may work.

Minimum wages: 7.25 USD per hour


Students from the EU and EEA are free to work in the United Kingdom. With a tier 4 student visa, non-EU students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during breaks.

Minimum wages: £6.83 - £9.50 per hour


Students who are enrolled full-time at a recognized educational institution (DLI) are allowed to work off campus up to 20 hours a week. Your precise employment rights will be stated on your Canadian study permit.

Minimum wages: $14.60 per hour


If you wish to work in China, you must hold a student visa and obtain approval from the immigration officials there.

Minimum wages: 25.3 yuan per hour


Australian citizens with student visas are permitted to work 40 hours every two weeks throughout the academic year, or without restrictions during university breaks.

Minimum wages: $21.38 per hour or $812.60 per 38-hour week


If you are from outside the EU and hold a valid student visa for Germany, you are permitted to work 120 full days or 240 half days each year. Students from the EU are entitled to work twenty hours per week.

Minimum wages: 9.50 euros per hour


Non-EU nationals are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week in Spain as long as they have the proper work and student visas. Students from the EU, EEA, and Switzerland can work anywhere they want.

Minimum wages: €7.82 per hour 

New Zealand

You may work up to 20 hours per week if you have a current New Zealand student visa. Throughout the holidays, you are free to work as many hours as you like.

Minimum wages: NZ $14.75 per hour


If you wish to work in Japan, you must apply for a separate work permit. Your options for work will also be limited. You cannot, for instance, work in bars or arcades.

Minimum wages: ¥714 to ¥932 per hour


If your job contract expires at the same time as your studies, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week while on a student visa for Russia.

Minimum wages: 70.50 p


Every foreign student with a student visa from France is allowed to work a total of 964 hours every year or around 18.5 hours per week.

Minimum wages:  €9.67 per hour

Countries where international students are restricted to work while studying

You must make sure you have enough money to pay for your tuition and living expenses because overseas students are not permitted to work in the following nations.

  • Costa Rica: Foreign students are not permitted to work concurrently with their education in order to maintain the employment chances for Costa Rican natives.
  • Cyprus: Non-EU nationals often do not have access to employment rights, while EU students are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week.
  • Fiji: Foreigners are not permitted to work there as students
  • Lebanon: It might be difficult to obtain a work permit since your company must demonstrate that a Lebanese citizen is unable to do your job.
  • India: Only paid internships and job placements that are mandated in the course selected by the student are permitted.

Common student jobs 

Being a student in one of the most well-known student cities in the world means you have access to a wide range of part-time job opportunities. However, it is also feasible to make a respectable living in smaller places.

Opportunities for student employment are frequently abundant on university campuses. You may earn additional money by working as a bartender, security guard, student ambassador, or facility assistant while also enhancing your fellow students' experience.

Job openings are frequently available at off-campus pubs, clubs, restaurants, and takeout that are trying to meet local students' demands. These positions frequently need evening employment, making it simple to schedule them around your weekday academics.

Look out for part-time work in administration, office assistance, cleaning, or child care in your neighborhood's newspapers, storefronts, and online. Tutoring or translating might be quite lucrative if you are studying in a nation where the language you know is not widely spoken.

Don’t overwork yourself!

The best course of action is to keep a balance, even if you might desire to work as many hours as you can. As an international student, having additional cash on hand might be fantastic, but not at the price of your coursework.

In the end, it's crucial to prioritize your education because your study permit is still valid in academic settings. Consider your education as a financial investment. After you graduate from college, you'll probably start a job, so concentrating on your program now might help guarantee that you'll be able to concentrate on your profession later!

Register Now to Apply in Your Dream College with our AI-Based Course Finder

Get a fully personalized list of programs all around the globe that match your eligibility and aspirations.

Sign Up